Getting independent financial advice

If you need financial advice about your retirement savings or broader financial matters, you should consider spending time with an independent expert.

If you don’t already have an independent financial adviser (IFA) and need help finding one, there are organisations that can help you find one in your local area. They can also give you a list of some of the things to check when deciding who to appoint. Some of these organisations (and how to contact them) are set out below. 


The law doesn’t allow the Trustee, Aon or anyone connected with the Scheme to give you financial advice.

The Financial Conduct Authority

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulates financial services firms (including financial advisers) and financial markets in the UK. 

Its website has a section on choosing and using a financial adviser, including the questions you should ask.

Check your IFA is regulated and authorised

Before you appoint an Independant Financial Advisor (IFA), you should check the firm you’re dealing with is suitably authorised and registered.

They must be: qualified at Level 4 or above of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (equivalent to the first year of a university degree); and have an up-to-date Statement of Professional Standing.

The FCA publishes on online register of regulated IFAs which you can search.


MoneyHelper has information about consumer finances, including access to independent financial advice. 

It has a searchable directory of financial advisers who specialise in providing advice about retirement.

  • Freephone: 
    0800 011 3797

Your 'quick' navigation sitemap